My Third Ear

Monday, May 7, 2012

What I Learned from Breast Cancer



In April 2009 I did the squeeze, squash yearly mammogram thingie. The radiologist said he saw no problems and in a few days I received the card. The card that confirms there are no problems. But in June I found a red spot on my left breast.

I ignored it like you do a mosquito bite. When it didn’t go away, husband and I talked about it. Like, after all, what could it be? The yearly mammo didn’t show a problem. By late July husband gave me the ultimatum, “You will call a doctor tomorrow.”

Tuesday morning I saw our primary care doctor. She sent me to a surgeon at a cancer center that afternoon. Husband became my number one advocate and cheerleader—until he died right after my fifth chemo.

It didn’t take long before I realized the need for an advocate, someone I felt comfortable taking into the exam room with me. Savannah (age 17) wanted to become a CNA. She received her initial training through breast cancer. My mother (86) said she’d seen me naked before, she could handle it again. My good friend Phyllis, my co-worker for over ten years, had worked in a nursing home and said she was available any time I needed her.

By the time I had radiation treatment I’d undressed in front of doctors, residents, nurses, technicians, family, and friends.

What did I learn from breast cancer?
Ø  Know your body
Ø  Don’t ignore a growing sore
Ø  You can’t always trust a mammogram
Ø  There are cancers that come with pain
Ø  Reach out to others when needing help
Ø  Loose the modesty when necessary

See Kat's Caregiver Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment