My Third Ear

Friday, July 8, 2016

A Little Older, Worn Out and Loved

Rocky reading my Bible on the patio
Several years ago husband build us an enclosed patio with a pond and a fountain. There were many reasons for the enclosure. We hid from the neighbors. I wouldn't lay in the sun when the neighbors could see me. The enclosure gave us the feel of being away from home. The pond and fountain brought a soothing quiet to our day. We enjoyed our time of togetherness-sometimes I slept on the swing and he snoozed on a lounge chair. Awe, peacefulness. Then husband died. For six years I did nothing inside that patio except let the weeds grow. This spring friend Pebbles said, "This is such a haven." With her encouragement and help, the weeds are gone. Pebbles planted my tree and two lilac bushes and I added succulents in the planter.

Of course, a patio needs a table and chairs-I'd given away the beautiful swing and thrown out the messed up lounge chair.

To several friends I said, "I need a table and chairs for the patio...cheap or free." Sure enough, Jake and Jeanie found this, picked it up and delivered it to me.

"I'm so sorry we didn't see the scratches in the glass," Jeanie said.

You know I'm thrilled with this set, the umbrella works great, the chairs are comfy and Rocky and I don't care about the scratches. If we have visitors we can use a table cloth, but then our dishes will cover the worn spots and no one will notice.

In the cool of the morning, we do have those once in awhile in Omaha, I enjoy sitting on the almost forgotten patio, drink coffee and read my Bible. Rocky nudges my arm and then wanders off to try and catch a bird or two while they play in a tree outside his reach.

My first tomato this season
Today I say thank you for the gifts of love: Husband for the patio years ago, Pebbles for reminding me to enjoy the sanctuary and her help in the renewal of the space. Thank you to Jake and Jeanie, too. My table and chairs are a treasure. I’ve decided they are like me—a little older, a bit worn, but those who care about me overlook those scratches and wrinkles and love me anyway.

Photo by Pat Mingarelli 
And guess what? My guests will have homegrown tomatoes from my flourishing tomato bush.  Sign me: Still Lionhearted, Kat
Pasquale (Pat) is with Wordsowers Christian Writers.  Check out his photography if you are interested in a new headshot for your author page or business cards. 

Don't forget the July 28, 2016 is another time for writers to come together for a monthly meeting at the Swanson's Library, 6-7:45 with an afterglow (fun get together) at Village Inn on 79th and Dodge following. 




No comments:

Post a Comment